Note: This extension is not associated with RSS Menu from e dot studios, or any similarly-named application.
What Does It Do?
- Adds a menu button to your Safari toolbar that lists available RSS, Atom and RDF feeds
- Can open discovered feeds in most Mac newsreader apps (Vienna, NetNewsWire etc.), or preview directly in Safari
- Toolbar button badge shows number of discovered feeds on current page
- Visual refinements and essential bug fixes.
- Updates to the jfeed library
- Removal of the YouTube feeds code, which hasn’t worked for some time because Google no longer provides an API.
- Under some circumstances, resizing the Safari window can cause RSS menu items to stop working. If this happens to you, go to Safari Preferences and disable the extension, then re-enable it.
- In Safari v8 and newer, when you try to open a feed in your RSS application, you will see an alert message asking if you want to add the feed to your Shared Links:
Click Cancel to continue opening the feed in your RSS application.
- RSS Menu cannot open feeds directly in RSSOwl. This is because RSSOwl does not register itself as a feed URI handler on OS X as it ought to.
- The extra feeds (Favorites and Recent Subscriptions) that were available in the extension menu when visiting YouTube user profile pages are no longer available. Google have deprecated the v2 API the provided these feeds, and there is no equivalent in v3.